Monday, July 23, 2012

THE BASIC CHIFFON CAKE RECIPE





                 I used to watch my Aunt, Elsa Cruz, baked her delicious chiffon cake when I was young. I was inspired by her that when I was in High School, I attended a baking class offered free by the local government. The use of so many utensils of baking however discouraged me to make it as a hobby.  I thought then that it was better to buy cakes from bakeries or bake shops than to make one. Besides, nobody in my immediate family knows how to cook any dish more specially baked stuffs which means, all the needed pans, mixers and measuring utensils were not available in the house.            
                When I was already working, I also attended a baking class intended to employees who wanted to make baking their business upon retirement. Still, it took so long for me to realize that I could make money out of it. Today, I already concocted and designed hundreds of cakes for children’s party, debut or wedding using only the basic chiffon cake recipe which I got from the back of cake flour box. This is because of my friend’s Party Needs Business of which the cake is one of the most important items in any celebration.
                Those who want to make it a try, here is the basic chiffon cake recipe that I’m sure your family will love and can be use for business.  Marshmallow icing  (boiled sugar) is perfect for this recipe  because it won’t melt even in hot weather.

2 ¼ cups               Cake Flour
1 Tbps                   Baking Powder
½ tsp.                    Cream of Tartar
8 pcs.                     Eggs (separated)
½ cup                    Vegetable Oil
¾ cup                    Orange Soda (I use Tru-Orange or orange flavouring)
¾  cup                   Sugar for the batter
¾ cup                    Sugar for the Eggwhites

Line an 8 x 12 inches rectangular pan or 10 inches round pan.  Pre-heat the oven at 345 degrees Celsius. Sift the together the cake flour, baking powder and sugar three times, set aside. Separate the eggwhites from the yolk. Be sure to use a smaller bowl or container first in separating the eggs one by one to avoid mixing spoiled eggs from the rest. For the batter, mix all the ingredients together except the eggwhites, the ¾ cup sugar and cream of Tartar.  Beat the eggwhites with the cream of Tartar using a handheld or stand mixer until frothy. Slowly add sugar and continue beating until stiff but not dry.  Pour the batter slowly using a spatula into the eggwhites. Transfer the mixture to the baking pan and bake for 45 minutes or until done (insert toothpick and see if it has no crumbs).   Invert and cool before taking the cake out from the pan. TIP: Line the pan but don't grease.  

No comments: